Tuesday, January 27, 2009

phones, cameras and automobiles...

So I have this cell phone - it's a Motorola razor phone that my students last year told me was WAY outdated. "Razors are out, iphones and blackberrys are in Mrs. Anderson. You need a new phone." This was last year, so I must be truly out of date and uncool now - it's 2009. However, my phone makes calls, receives calls and stores phone numbers. What else do I need? I am a stay at home mom, and a "phone" - something that makes and receives calls - is just fine for me. I have always believed that a cell phone is for MY convenience, not everyone else!!! Who cares what it looks like and who cares if it takes pictures or not (it does, I'll have you know) but I own a camera that also fits nicely into my purse or pocket. It's a camera, so it's made for taking pictures, and they come out better than most phone pictures. Cause, after all, it's a phone. And frankly, I am haunted enough by emails, I don't need to check them while I am at the store or in line at the post office.

So, this lame, outdated Razor phone of mine stopped working yesterday. It is on, but is says I have no service, so I can't make or receive any calls. Rob and I have tried everything to get it to work, but it won't. Ugh! So, I have to drive to Salt Lake and visit the Verizon store, which if you ask me, is equivalent to a root canal from a dentist with bad breath. Fewer places are more painful to visit than the Verizon store in Sugarhouse. And, to make matters worse, I may have to get a new phone. Before yesterday, I didn't need a new phone and I didn't want a new phone. Mine was serving me just fine. I don't want to get used to a new one. I liked my OLD one - archaic if you ask my former students. Can't wait to see what "deals" the Verizon people can offer me. Can't wait.

And, since I am so pleased with technology right now, we also discovered some exciting news about our video camera yesterday. Rob and I purchased a really nice video camera right after Sawyer was born. We used it a few times and then Rob took it on a Young Life trip. One of his leaders was using it to video the kids until he left it under the seat on a ride at DisneyLand - The Happiest Place on Earth! The place where people find a video camera that doesn't belong to them, and they keep it.

So, we replaced that camera with one identical to it. All was well in video and memory making land until the door on the camera became stuck open. Who knows why, but the door stopped closing. It sounds like something very simple to fix. Everything else on the camera worked, but the door wouldn't close.

So, last week we took the camera to Best Buy to see if they could repair the door. We paid $50 up front just for them to look at it and see what was wrong. (It's obvious what is wrong and shouldn't take $50 to see that the door won't close.) We did so and discovered that we were a month (ONE MONTH) past our warranty. It had expired. Of course it had. Doors close when they are under warranty. We heard back from them yesterday with the news that it will cost $300 to repair the camera. THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS to get the door to close. Really.

The camera is still sitting at Best Buy until $300 falls from the sky. We just spent that and more replacing the fuel pump in Rob's truck.

Call me and we can talk and I'll share my other thoughts regarding the camera. (Oh wait, I can't receive your call because my phone doesn't work. You can leave me a message and I'll check it from my husband's fancy phone when he gets home.)

Thanks for listening. I truly am not this bitter all the time.

7 comments:

Keepin' Up with the Joneses said...

Oh, the joys of technology! Remember when your walk-man tape player used to break it only cost about 15$ for a nice new one? =)

Erik and Amanda Hansen said...

Hey Christa! Do you think your new phone will return calls? I sure hope so! :) Love you!

Melissa (aka Kitty) said...

I have fought the blackberry for several years now but I did get one for Christmas. Our 4 year old Thermador oven broke 2 days before Christmas, you know, that one time of year you need to cook a huge meal for out of town family. Took 4 weeks to get all the parts in and yes, it was not under warranty. We had to grill our ham. Totally understand.

Mountain Mama said...

Highway Robbery!!

Can't wait for sushi!

Tara said...

Christa... I'm with Amanda! I'm hoping that your new phone will call me back! :0

But, I got sucked into the new technology of getting a new phone and I miss my RAZOR terribly... it was a great PHONE!!! I wish I could get it back... my new 'slider' phone drops calls like crazy!

Sorry to hear about your video camera... that sucks!

Hope you are doing REALLY well... and I was glad to hear that your 'pregnant' self was a little testy at sundance... perhaps that has something to do with your 'bitter' mood!

Regardless....
Love you to the moon and back!

Jessica Tottenham said...

HIlarious!!! I hear you about the phone. I wish I knew you were going to Verizon because we could have ventured there together...my phone is on the brink of death but I keep putting it off because the store terrifies me. Good luck!

Go Fisch said...

You are starting to be like Laurie. Using your blog to rant.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails