Sunday, March 13, 2011

"You're going to have your hands full..."

To all of the women who have said these words to me in the past few months (and there are many; although I don't think any of them read this blog, but it makes me feel better to write this), this is what I want to say to you...

"Really? I didn't know."

"Thank you."

"By saying that, are you trying to be nice, encourage me, point out the obvious, or is this your way of saying, 'Wow. You are having another baby. That makes 3 total. That's more than 2, all 4 years and younger.'"

Because that's how it sounds to me.

"I actually have my hands full now, and I love it. I cannot wait until our sweet baby boy arrives. I am not an idiot or naive to the fact that having a third child means, well, having a third child."

"I LOVE being a mom. And, my husband and I know how babies are made and actually planned to have a third child. Crazy, I know."

"We feel so blessed to have our children and are excited to add another boy to our family. Thankfully, we love and pursue the Lord and His plans for us and did not make this decision on our own. It is part of God's perfect plan for our family and for our lives - to "have our hands full."

Thank you, God, for allowing us the privilege and honor of raising these children to know and love you.


Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them...    Psalm 127: 3-5


Disclaimer:  Rob thinks I am too sensitive about this...maybe I am. No one says it to him. In fact, he gets the great comments where people quote scripture and think it's great that we are having another baby. I am not sure why the pregnant lady gets the negative comments and looks. It's almost always from strangers - and I know, not everyone means it in a negative way. Forgive me for venting via blog.



7 comments:

Devin and Tiffany said...

Ha Ha Christa, I know exactly what you mean. And when the baby is born, you will get "boy you sure have your hands full" all the time. Just embrace it, and say "yes, I know, but it is better them having them empty!! However take it from somebody who also had three in four years, your life is about to get BUSYer! But so thankful that you realize it is a blessing and the Lord's plan. I think that is the only way I survive each day. So happy for you and Rob, these little ones are so much fun!!!

Erik and Amanda Hansen said...

I always hate when people say that. My usual response is, "I'm never bored." The only thing worse is, "Are they all yours?" Love you, friend!

US said...

I like to say "so is my heart"! I am on #6 and even Christian friends say stupid things like "you know how that happens, don't you?" um..yes and I love it!

Amy Anderson said...

Lately, I've been asked, "you already had your boy and your girl--your third MUST have been a surprise.". (or worse yet-"accident"). Poor Evie, she's always with me, which means she always hears those comments.
I'm thankful for the opportunity to remind her how very wanted she was and is.
Funny the things people say.
AND--for our family the transition from two to three kids was the easiest! So excited for you all and this new baby blessing!

Mountain Mama said...

You are funny. I enjoyed your venting. Us moms with many small children can all relate. You are not alone and sadly there is more than one person out there saying these comments to loving moms with their sweet children hearing these things. I have gotten to the point where I pray for these ladies. They must be hurting for them to say things like this. We have no idea what their story is - infertile, bad marriage, miscarriages, etc. It has taken me years to get to this point but I answer them with love and try to bring glory to God with my responses. Not easy!

love ya and can't wait for our boys to "hang",
ashley

Erika said...

Oh yes, the same comment came at me many, many times. Mostly when my kids were running around with wild intent. I could never quite answer the observer because I was the chaser. Funny how these people comment, but don't really have a follow-up comment that is positive.

We are lucky and blessed:)

Keepin' Up with the Joneses said...

Well if it makes you feel any better. Most take one look at me and my crazy boys and say the same thing...=) And no, I am not pregnant (maybe they think I am??) I love you Christa and couldn't think of a better family to have LOTS more kids. I agree with your friend that says that your heart will be MUCH more full than your hands.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails